Microsoft make a lot of being able to use Dynamics whilst you’re away from the office. Its mobile app lets you use Dynamics just as if you were on a desktop PC in the office, but what about if you’re offline?
What a lot of people don’t know is that you can use Dynamics 365 when you’re not connected to the internet AND it’s not a big deal to setup.
Using Dynamics 365 offline
Once your system administrator has set up the Dynamics 365 mobile app to allow offline working, you won’t notice much difference. The screens will look the same, but it’ll be clear that you’re offline, so that you’ll know that you’re not directly updating Dynamics 365 online.
When you set up offline working, you’ll decide which entities are important to you and these will synced to your mobile, ready for when you go offline.
Not all data will be synced, as this could mean huge data use on your mobile. Your administrator will set criteria, so that only relevant records are downloaded – this could mean, for instance, syncing all leads created in the last 14 days only.
To check your app is ready to work offline, select > offline status
If the status shows Available, you’re good to go. You can also see if and when each individual entity was synced
To see which entities you can access, select
- The green icon shows which entities are available offline
- A red icon means the entity is configured to work offline, but there is a problem
- No icon means the entity is not available offline
What can I do offline?
- Choose the Microsoft Dynamics 365 data you want to take with you when you go offline.
- View and create records
- Capture new information as draft records
- Use Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Outlook
In detail, you can:
- Create, read, update, and delete records
- Qualify and disqualify leads
- Quick views
- Business rules
- Search – limited and only returns offline data
- Lookups – offline records only
When you come back online, all the actions you completed are posted in order to Dynamics 365. You don’t have to do anything. If there are synchronisation errors, you be given the chance to fix these.
Setting up offline working in Dynamics 365
This is aimed at Dynamics administrators
Enable Mobile offline in CRM. Look in settings > Mobile Offline
Choose which entities you’d like to sync to mobile. By default, most of the common systems entities will sync. The complete list is here
If you’d like to sync any custom entities, you can choose this in Settings > Customisation. You’ll need to choose Enable for Mobile Offline
Follow the link Organisational data download filter to choose exactly which data you’d like to sync – for example, all orders places this week.
You can additionally configure which data is available to users or groups
- In Settings > Customisations. Make a new Mobile Offline Profile
- Add users to the profile
- Choose exactly which data is synced – for example you can choose to sync all leads owned by each user, or by their team.
Read Work offline on your mobile device from Microsoft
Microsoft have published a list of known issues